Eat Pretty Tonight with Easy Soups
During the fall and winter, soups are by far my favorite way to stay healthy, warm and satisfied. When you pack ‘em with veggies, grains and beans, they’re great skin foods too!
Homemade soups are really the way to go, since the canned soups you get at the grocery store are loaded with sodium and expensive for what you’re getting. On top of that, it’s quite simple to whip up soups at home with whatever combo or beans, grains and vegetables you have in the fridge. I love the above illustrated graphic recipe on how to make a simple soup at home, courtesy of Whole Foods.
To make your soup even quicker, use canned beans that are pre-cooked and take out the 2 hours of simmering. You’ll have a big pot of soup in under an hour.
A few of my favorite beautifying soup ingredients:
- lentils: a great source of iron and protein, one of the building blocks of collagen.
- cayenne pepper: if you can take the heat, cayenne pepper’s capsaicin suppresses your appetite and inhibits spikes in blood sugar for about 30 minutes after you eat it, preventing a strong glycemic response.
- carrots: packed with beta carotene that easily converts to vitamin A, one of the most important skin vitamins! Try one of my favorite complexion-clearing recipes, Curried Carrot Soup.
- leeks: these cruciferous veggies contain cell-protective isothiocyanates.
- garlic and onions: this combo is a must for immunity, and the sulfur content of members of the allium family (onions, leeks, garlic) is an important skin mineral.
- ginger: this anti-inflammatory root is great for digestion and makes your complexion calm and even.
Ready to make soup tonight? Leave a comment telling me about your favorite beautifying soup combos!